Friday, May 22, 2015

Training While Injured

"When weak or injured always continue training as you should be able to adapt in any condition."
-Sake Hatsumi Masaaki
 
"Some people learn to lose. Some people lose and learn."
-Georges St-Pierre





Last night I received a rather serious injury while cleaning in the deli at a supermarket I work at; my hand was sucked into the meat cutting machine, and with no better way to put it mangled down to the bone. The machine picked a fight with me, and won. It will take some time to heal.

Now all said and done I am left with a question, how do I train while effectively down a limb? Where any movement might reopen a rather egregious wound.

If injured in a similar way, or in any other which would interfere with or prohibit training, what would you do?

In my situation I have two options- to either stop trying, or do what I can. I choose the later; any martial artist would and should.

That leaves the question to me of how one trains thence?

Obviously it is restricted to only methods which will not disturb what I have injured, so handwork is out of the way. So is stretching in a manner utilizing the arm.

But I am still left with being able to kick, and stretch everything else. I cannot do forms outside of thinking about them (another form of meditation, thinking about what we practice, going through the motions step by step internally).



Robert McCloud lost his leg in a motorcycle accident.
 


I can meditate, and I will be doing that quite a bit to cultivate positive energy and perhaps speed up the healing process.

Partner training is out for now, unless engaged in very slowly and methodically. Any accident could happen and enure me into a cycle where I keep re-injuring what may take awhile to heal.

I can practice writing, a craft I believe all martial artists should practice, as hard as it is with just one hand. I am doing that now.

I have seen multiple kinds of injuries, from broken bones, contusions and cuts to even tendon tears. In the latter examples which were normally knee injuries, they would switch to hand work while recuperating.

So while limited, I am not without options.

Having indomitable spirit is more than just refusing to give up- it's about going on for keeping one's self. It is finding a way around the challenges and obstacles we face to exist in a joyous way. Yes this injury sucks, but really only as much as I allow it to.

Yes, I am hurt, but I will heal. I have an unshakable confidence in my tenacity and ability to overcome most anything.

Indomitable spirit is a kind of trust with yourself- to persevere despite what may seem insurmountable.

It is a minor injury even when still serious- and I will become stronger both because, and despite it.




 
 
 
"A warrior takes his lot, whatever it may be, and accepts it in ultimate humility. He accepts in humbleness what he is, not as a grounds for regret but as a living challenge."
-Carlos Castaneda
 
 
 

1 comment: