Saturday, May 9, 2015

Being Content

 
"There are two mistakes one can make along the road... Not going all the way, and not starting."
-Buddha
 
 
 
I struggled for about an hour on what to write today- Whether to do it on hand postures in meditation, or acupuncture points before I realized the whole reason I wanted to write today was to illustrate to others that I am awesome. -And I had a good laugh at myself over that. So I wrote this piece today instead. I hope you enjoy it; this is something from the heart.
 
Let's face a common truth; chances are we will not be the world's greatest fighter. Chances are we may never become a founder of a new martial art.

Chances are we will not be the greatest kicker, nor have the fastest punch.

Some will never have a full split, and it may be one of the greatest triumphs we know to do a form correctly even once.

Chances are even if we do become a great fighter, it is certain that we will never be super saiyans or superheroes.

A lot of people get into martial arts to become 'the best'. As if being Batman were something achievable.

Funny, but as someone who chased that for a very long time, it seems so simple now- being the best.

Even the white belt is 'the best' when it is put in terms of our own self-perspective. And all of us are still white belts in spirit if we honest with ourselves. Otherwise why would we still practice?

Even if I am able to punch eight times in a second again, there will always be someone faster. So am I competing against those I cannot catch up to? There is a glory in that- in the effort. But really I only am trying to become better than I was, and as best as I can be.

It is good to set impossible goals for that reason- because even if not reached we still become more than we were. Believe in your dreams, because dreams show the way to the impossible. And frankly, the only thing standing between you and the possible is the 'I M, or as I say, the I AM'. You have to let go of that to become more than you are, otherwise how are you truly alive?

Even on my worst days I am content that I have come to come where I am from where I was- that I can do a single kick at all.

Because once there was a time where I could not kick even once. There was a time I knew not what a kick was.

And there will come a time someday, perhaps sooner than I think, perhaps much later than I expect when I will no longer be able to kick at all.

And it is then that I must content myself watching others perform. Even the world-champion reaches this point, or dies before they do.

That is the secret joy of every martial arts teacher- to watch someone come to their care, and go from that point of being unable to do anything, to being able to do something.

And then there is that sublime joy; watching another struggle, and work, and inevitably fail. We all fail in some way, somehow eventually. That's ok, the only person who's opinions matter in defining our failures are ourself, and to a degree, those who matter most to us. Nobody just decides who they are- it accumulates from experiences and the input of others.

And the joy a teacher has is when someone succeeds, or fails, and show them how to succeed until they do.

In a way I can catch a glimpse of that; I am nowhere near that point, and the glimpse I see is like that of a land just beyond the hill I get to crest every now and again.

And I see it most when I see kids walking around in their school's uniform. It doesn't matter to me what style, or how old they are, if they are coming from the best school in the world, or just another mcdojo. Because every time I see a kid in their gi with a white or yellow belt, I am reminded of myself. And that the spirit of martial arts is still alive.

And that's the only thing I really want out of the martial arts I practice- to make sure that that spirit never fades. And the nice thing is, I don't think I make a whit of difference in terms of it surviving. Martial arts has always been, and always will be. But I like to think if it came down to it, I know I can make one of those kids happy to pursue the arts. And if even one person can be affected with that happiness of getting their first belt; from going from white to yellow, I have done my part.

So be content with what you do, where you are. Be it the best school or the worst. I have trained at both extremes on the spectra, and all have been worthwhile experiences- because at least I was practicing, and eventually training. Dream about what you can, but always be satisfied even if how you practice isn't perfect.

I have never met a single person in my time practicing who has proclaimed martial arts has not been beneficial in their life.

I don't need to be the first place winner in a tournament. I am happy just showing up and taking part.

I don't mind losing a fight, because I at least had the heart to try.

And if I can share that feeling with just one other person, if I can convince just one person to put on the belt and give it a go whether they be four years old or a hundred- I can die happy knowing I did my part.
 
 
 
www.Zenpencils.com

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
In the end that's why I make these blog posts and videos- on some level it may be to prove my own worth to others or myself, but it's also a way to teach myself how to connect with others and find a way to inspire them to become more than they are. That pursuit is what makes us human, as opposed to just existing and being one among many people. 
 




No comments:

Post a Comment