Thursday, May 21, 2015

Survivors and Liars

 
 
"If you know yourself and know your enemy you need not fear the results of a hundred battles."
-Sun Tzu
 
"Every person who prepares is one less who panics in a crisis."
-Mark Adams
 
 
 
 


Today I read a blog post that got me thinking. Its by my favorite blogger and he raised a good point; the only people who can honestly say have been in more fights than they can remember are tournament fighters. Anyone else is full of crock.

Now, I can say this, in my twenty plus years of practicing I have been in literally tens of thousands of encounters. Some ranging from shadow boxing and no contact to extremely heavy contact where I sustained injury, sometimes serious such as when the marrow in my leg was traumatized and when I broke a rib and my tail bone (I in both the metaphorical and not got my ass kicked that occasion).

I remember every fight ive had on the stret. Ive been unlucky and been in three and at an armed robbery. And I can remember each as clear as day.

I can remember their height. The clothing they wore, every move I made. How could I not?

And few conflicts as Ive had that's still way more than most.


The experiences itself can at its best be awkward, at its worst terrifying. Anytime you are faced with a gun its a shattering experience. And when fortunate to walk away from, one that you will question time and again.

It's as though time itself stops- it becomes something very personal and shared only between you and the other. It feels as though any move you make will trigger what may happen, and what may not. Thoughts raced through my head; do I do this, do I do that... do I do nothing? It was the last option which saved my life and defused the situation.

I've been attacked twice by more than one person. The first was when a teenager, and it was two individuals who were strung out on something. I guess PCP, since I punched one in the throat hard enough to break a cinderblock (I know because I've broken them before) and he got up. That was when I got up and ran.

The second time was in the last year, and it wasn't exactly an 'attack' in a traditional. They weren't after my money or person. But either way I had to defend myself. It sucked, but at least gave me a sense of confidence I could walk away with, since I emerged untouched. I was fortunate in that regard, because had it happened in the U.S. I surely would have been shot.

That's the funny thing about situations where we feel the need to defend ourselves; it will always be a special case. The circumstances will always differ from one experience to the next, from one person to another and what they will go through.

Something to always remember is the best way to get through such instances as they build-up to the breaking point- try to take a step back. Stay calm and talk your way through it. Often that can make all the difference.

I was very hotheaded in the past. Sometimes I still am, so I neglected to use that when it could have been beneficial. But there are some instances you just won't get the chance to do so. I can attest to that. Sometimes they just grab you or level the weapon, and then its go time. Fight or flight. I recommend the latter, its usually safer, and if terminates in opportunity, then you fight if you can or have to.

I would have been in around a dozen fighting experiences, on the street, had I not resorted to talking to de-escalate the situation.

Know yourself, and stay confident in yourself. Sometimes that is enough to pull you through.

And always, always retain and rely on an indomitable warrior spirit.


"In a crisis do not let your mind run ahead. Your job is to survive hour by hour."
-Dr. Nancy

No comments:

Post a Comment